Monday, February 15, 2010

Deliberate Living

Since our announcement a few weeks ago of adding alpacas to our life, we've received a few sarcastic comments almost boardering on mockery. Now, I consider myself a fairly tough skinned person having grown up with 3 brothers, sarcastic uncles, all boy cousins, and the like. However, I CAN tell the difference between playful sarcasm and mockery. A person mocks our lifestyle, I tend to take offense to it.....as would many people I'm sure. Thus I feel the need to explain ourselves a little bit.

My husband provides a VERY comfortable middle class living for us. With that said,

- I DON"T can food because we can't afford to buy it the store
- I DON"T garden because we can't afford fresh produce
- I DON"T knit because we can't afford winter necessities
- I DON"T sew because we can't afford to buy clothes and blankets

I DO these things because I WANT to. Because I believe they are getting to be lost arts. Because the matriarchs of my family took great pride in providing these things for all of us and they were very proficient at it. I'd very confidently say they were true artists in their everyday deeds/chores/activities. And aside from the fact that I genuinely enjoy handcrafting and homemaking, I feel an obligation to learn as much as I can, share as much as I can, and pass on as much as I can to my own children with the hope that these things will always in some way or another be a part of our family for generations (more) to come.

The same can be applied to our intent to "farm". We will be adding alpacas, sheep, chickens, and maybe a goat or cow at some point. All these things because we WANT to not because we NEED to. If there is any need, it would be to instill in our children a sense of responsibility and work ethic, a knowledge of the hard work that goes into providing simple things for a family, and a sense of value for the land and all it provides for us. This is our intent in homemaking and farming. This is our lifestyle. It is chosen as a first choice, NOT a last resort.

4 comments:

  1. Nicely put Theresa! I couldn't have writen it better myself. We are in the same frame of mind as you guys are and even though there are few and far between of us out there at least we have eachother! We will be excited no matter what animals you chose to add or not, and I will always love to read about your crafts and canning, etc. Seriously, I think it is fantastic what you guys are doing. If only we lived closer! :) Loren wonders what you plan to do with the alpacas? ... raise them for meat, milk, wool, or breeding stock to sell? He also heard that they were good protectors in a heard ... curious Farmer Neal just needs to know. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Steph! I know there are like minded people out there. And though we aren't necessarily "neighbors", we ARE close enough for moral support and the occasional visit. ;-) I believe it is our turn to visit you. Perhaps after this baby gets here and you guys are ready for some visitors.

    Well, considering they are FIXED males you could conclude that we are not interested in breeding them (right now) nor are we interested in milking them. ;-) And though I am all about raising healthy meat sources, I just don't think I could stomach doing that to these guys. I DO have a knitting addiction that perhaps these animals may help with. Their fleece is so super soft! The truth is, we were just looking for a slow and easy first step towards hobby farming. Some neighbors of our have a couple llamas and alpacas and have coached us in their care. Sounds like a fairly easy and harmless first step.

    We are SO excited!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel very happy for you Theresa.

    In our society of fast food and instant gratification is very hard to understand why would you choose "the real thing". Why waiting, why going through the process of "growing stuff" and taking care of it. Probably some people will ask you or ask themselves "What is wrong with you? Don´t you have money to go to the store and get it NOW?". Well...it is not about money, it is a lie to think that when we do thing fast we have time to do what matters the most...If that was true we would be living in a very peaceful world.
    Your choice is about living life following the Natural rhythm of it, respecting the process and the time "there is a time for everything". Investing in creation, taking care of it is one of God´s first commandments ( in Genesis ) and we find inner harmony when we follow those "simple" commandments.....it is our own very nature, we were created for that.

    I wish I could do the same.....some chickens..perhaps I can do that and sell the eggs. I cannot kill them.....First thing I do when an animal comes home I give them a name....I could not be eating "Carmen the chicken" or "Ramón the bunny" :)

    A hobby farm....sounds like Heaven to me....You are doing great! (you know that...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Maria. FYI (for your information): my parents would buy eggs from you if you had laying chickens. ;-)

    ReplyDelete