Sunday, January 1, 2012

Another Year

November 22nd marked the end of a two year contract with a satellite internet company we were not happy with. Instead of committing to a new provider right away we decided that a break from the internet in the house would be a positive step in focusing on our family and preparing for Christmas. It was difficult at first. I’ve tried going without Facebook or social networking in general but have not succeeded in the past. So removing the internet all together seemed a daunting challenge (for me). I had come to rely on it immensely. Paying for satellite TV is not really a luxury we want at this point in our life. We live far enough from town where cable is not available so TV networks are not an option for daily news. We have the most basic cell phone plan available simply because we cringe at the thought of paying so much for phone service. Our landline phone is just for local calls. So phone calls are fairly limited. We don’t get the newspaper. And, though the weather has been extraordinarily mild this winter, during the winter months we pretty much stay as close to home as possible as much as possible. Yes, I live a fairly “sheltered” quiet life. Don’t get me wrong, I am NOT complaining. I am just stating that, back in November, the thought of going without my major source of communication was a bit scary.

It took about a week. After that, I really didn’t notice not having it around anymore. We finished up some much needed organization in the house. I dove into my knitting and managed to start and completely finish about 3 knitting projects a week. BIG accomplishment. Plus we had the added treat of John being on a regular schedule throughout the entire month of December. Normally he rotates day shift/night shift. But there were some changes happening within the company and John was asked to participate in various rounds of meeting and such. I’m not sure he particularly preferred meetings over working in the plant, but we certainly enjoyed having him home every night for supper and bedtime. It is shocking how much that effects a family.

Anyway, I am back from my break. Though we still haven’t committed to a new internet provider, I am fully committed to regular updates. I know. I’ve said that in the past and totally flopped on it. Truth is, since the beginning of Advent (the Catholic “new year”), I have been working on a new resolution:

To do what I say I am going to do. And to do what I am told.

Very hard for me. Sadly, I am a woman of excuses. Yes, my life is insanely crazy most of the time and we have tons of simple daily chores that take up a whole lot of our time/life. But really, the excuses still find their way in. And I hate that about myself. So, I’ve made that commitment to work on doing what I say I’m going to do. Just do it. And let me tell you, it is one of the most satisfying resolutions I’ve had thus far. Wow. Granted I am not cured of my excuses, but I am getting better.

If it matters to anyone out there, I am back. With posts. And commitment.

Happy 2012 everyone!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Yessss!!! I've been excited for a new post, so your commitment makes me pretty happy. :) Seriously, isn't it just so gratifying to just get things done? I am so with you.. it's easy to make excuses. It just feels so much better to not have to! :) Happy new year to you!
    Abby

    ReplyDelete