Thursday, March 3, 2011

Full Tummies and Happy Hearts

John has been off these past couple days. Oh how wonderful they have been! Sometimes I feel like we are just passing by each other with a wave and a peck on the cheek (if there's time). We both get so busy with kids, work, projects, staying in shape, and just...life. And with John's crazy swing shift work plus all the overtime he's been putting in, well, let's just say we feel the need to get to know eachother all over again. And by get to know eachother I don't mean what you think I mean....geesh...get your heads out of the clouds people! ;-) I mean, he looked at me the other day, sighed and said, "What are your goals right now? Has your favorite color changed? What's been on your mind lately?..." Stuff like that. I was so pleasantly surprised by this. I realized that those types of questions were legitimate as we haven't had much time to sit and just be together, catch up on our day to day goings on, or touch base with much more than emergency/immediate needs. Life happens and it certainly gets crazy. Needless to say, yesterday and today have been wonderful with no plans, no guests, no pressing needs/projects to get done. Just time at home....together....with all the kids. It has been sweet heaven.
Enough about that. I wasn't actually planning on rambling about that. Sorry. What I wanted to brag about share with you was an absolutely satisfying and scrumptious meal I made this evening. I've blogged about Ree Drummond (a.k.a. The Pioneer Woman) before. I think. I know I must have mentioned a couple of her recipes. Anyway, I'm a big fan. Huge actually. I found her blog years ago when Hayden was a baby and fell in love with her blunt comedic approach to daily ranch life and of course, her recipes. She eventually got famous because of her blog. I'd like to say I knew her before she was famous. ;-) Like when she only got less than 1000 comments on her daily posts. Yeah. Her and I go way back. ;-) Anyway, she got famous and wrote a cookbook. And, of course, I bought it. In it are some awesome recipes, one of which my husband sings her praises. The Man Sandwich. And it is exactly that. A MEAT sandwich fried in butter and onions and topped with spice and grilled buns. MMMMMMM. Well tonight I added portabello mushrooms sauteed in butter and worschteshire sauce. Oh.My.Goodness. HEAVEN drenched in butter and sitting on our plates. Wow. Tonight was my first with portabello mushrooms. And let me just say how happy I am that I waited. It was so worth it! Sauteing them just right, sprinkled with worsch and slapped on a grilled bun and topped with steak and onions. Utter Satisfaction. And might I add that my husband is currently snoring on the couch. Yup. You got it. He's spent. Really people, this cookbook is awesome and this recipe is a must if your man loves meat. BUY IT!


I'd include a picture of our oh so yummy meal except.......it's gone. The whole thing is gone. Nothing left. So you'll just have to take my word for it.
;-)

1 comment:

  1. I haven't made that one yet, but have enjoyed several others. The twice-baked potatoes are sooo good.

    ReplyDelete