Monday, March 21, 2011

30

Saturday was my 30th birthday. No, I am not ashamed to say I am 30. I have never been one to come completely undone by my progressing age. It is inevitable people....we are getting older and we will die (someday). It happens to everyone. Even people like Joan Rivers (eww) who thinks she can defy age/time, but it only makes it worse. Denial is never a good thing. Not in my experience anyway.

So, does anyone want to hear what was gifted to me on my oh so monumental birthday? Let me tell you.....
* my parents gave me a beautiful necklace, a bag of columbian dark roast coffee (because age requires more of this), and a large roaster (for canning)
* my nieces gave me a very pretty necklace and earring set along with another pair of earrings picked out by Bell (such a sweetheart!)
* some friends gave me a case of Nordeast beer. Never had this particular kind before and how dare they expose my pallet to such wonder! Wow. I think I am a convert. No more cheap beer, honey......I want to good stuff. !!!!
* my husband.....my husband really really pulled through this year (as he does most years).....

Since February I had been asking for hints as to what he was planning on giving me. At first it was obvious that he really had no idea what he was going to do. But I think he figured it ought to be a good one since it IS a milestone birthday. Then he started dropping hints:
Me: "Is it big?"
John: "I think so. I guess it depends on how you look at it."
Me: "Is it expensive? I mean...how much are you pulling from savings?" (I know, completely non discreet)
John: "I guess I could be. It depends on how much you like it."
????!!!!!!
Me: "What is that supposed to mean?"
John: "Lets just say the most it is costing me is my dignity."

Great. By that point I was completely lost. What the heck could he be planning? He wasn't sharing this idea with anyone else. Believe me, I checked all my sources. Nobody had a clue. Then came more hints from him that made me squirm with curiosity and then with frustration and disgust.

John: "You might want to hit the gym an extra day a week."
Me: "I suppose I could do that if our schedule allows it. Why?"
John: "The more in shape you are the more you'll get out of your birthday present."

OKAY....hold up. He has suggested this several times over the course of a month. It pissed me off. What in the world was he giving me?....sessions with a trainer? a piece of clothing a few sizes too small? new running shoes (I had been asking for these)? a beach vacation (that would be nice)? None of these seemed like appropriate 30th birthday gifts. Not really. And he shot every one of them down. What could he be planning? The longer this went on, the more frustrated and mad I got. I couldn't figure it out. And he insisted that working out was a good hint. Which made me even more mad. So....my husband was telling me that for my already difficult to swallow birthday, I need to be in optimal shape? Hmmm.....
I'm pretty sure I'm not the only woman who would be utterly ticked off by this. He took the cold shoulder and silent treatment. He even took a few snide comments and a declaration of disgust from yours truly. But ultimately he stood his ground and didn't snap.
Then on the eve of my 30th birthday he comes to me with a card, a balloon, and a sweet dimpled smile. "Happy 30th Birthday, Theresa." I read the super sweet and sappy card and there was a small notecard inside that read:

"For your birthday this year I want to take dancing lessons with you long enough for us to either get good at it or decide we don't like it. I love you. Happy 30th Birthday."

I melted. I threw my arms around him and slobbered him with grateful kisses.

Early in our marriage (before the kids) I wanted to take dancing lessons with him so badly. And he wouldn't even think about it!...."NO." End of discussion. Then the kids came and I stopped asking. I never thought he'd remember let alone act on it! Which makes me wonder if he hears all the other things that I hint about or ask for. Hmmm......

My husband is the sweetest most thoughtful and secretly momentarily romantic man. Really?.....I've been bragging about him all weekend. I am so proud and SO EXCITED! He has most of the month of June off so we decided that a 4 week session would be scheduled for June. YAY!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. ohhh my goodness. That is so incredibly sweet of hubby!! You two will have so much fun:)
    Gabe and I talked about lessons and then we moved to KS...no chance here for a while!
    So glad you had a good birthday-you deserve it.
    Better get out those dancing shoes!

    ReplyDelete