Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Seasonal Love

A favorite meal option during these warm, fruitful garden seasons are the cold veggie salads. I love them. Love, love, love, love. For me, they serve the purpose of most anything....snack, full meal, side dish, heck....maybe even dessert. ;-) And, seeings how we have had above freezing weather for quite some time, I think that I could assume that perhaps the snow is gone for good (until fall) and that spring/summer dishes can be added to the menu. With that said, this afternoon I wallowed in the making of my most favorite summer veggie dish: BROCCOLI SALAD. Yum. Yum. Yum. I know this is probably nothing new for anyone who reads this blog. It is like chocolate chip cookies. Everyone makes their own variation of this salad. Mine variation isn't anything special......just a recipe I took from an old church cookbook I got as a bridal shower gift. (FYI: those church cookbooks are usually worth the small fee. They usual hold tried and true old family recipes and they are delicious!!!)

1 1/2 heads broccoli
1 cup chopped or sliced carrots
1 medium onion
2 cups shredded cheese
1/2 cup sunflower nuts
1lb bacon....fried crispy and chopped in pieces (YUMMY)
dressing: 1 cup mayonnaise + 1/4 cup sugar + 2 tablespoons vinegar

mix the veggies
add the dressing
chill for a couple hours
ENJOY!

1 comment:

  1. I looooove a good salad. This sounds amazing. Thanks for you wonderful messages Theresa-it is always uplifting to hear from you! <3

    ReplyDelete