Tuesday, May 10, 2011

In Love With The Land

What I love the most about this time of year in this area of the country is this.....





(I promise that these photos have not been edited. The colors are true)

Have you seen anything more wonderful than BLACK dirt and GREEN grass so green it almost glows? There is a comfort in this. Though our winters are harsh and the transition into spring brings a flood that can destroy everything, when the snow and the water leave we see the fertile jet black earth and grass so thick and lush it takes a couple runs of the mower to get it all. I know that this land will feed my family. Anything I put in the ground will grow and produce something. The economy can crash all it wants and I know that we will survive....we will eat and not only will that food be homegrown, but it will be large and nutritious and some of the best food the land can give. Not to mention our animals feast every single day on GRASS not hay or grain or supplements. Living in this "fertile crescent" of the mid-west is such a blessing!

What are your springtime favorites?

No comments:

Post a Comment