Friday, February 11, 2011

Pregnant Musings (in all seriousness)

A friend of mine wrote this post for her blog today. This subject is so dear to my heart that I had to ask her permission to copy/paste her writings because she wrote it so well. So many women, especially new moms pregnant with their first, blindly follow whatever it is that medicine/medical community says. I know highly highly educated women who research every diet under the sun to make sure it does exactly what they want it to do for them. They research vacation places til they know everything there is to do once they get to their destination. They weigh pros and cons for which new flat screen TV to purchase before spending a small fortune on just the right one. But when it comes to researching and doing what is best for their bodies and their babies, they simply talk to the doctor. And whatever THEIR doctor says must be the best and safest route to take. And I am by NO MEANS saying don't follow medical advice. Not at all. Quite the contrary, actually. I am simply agreeing with Mallory (blog author) in saying that it is our obligation as mothers and stewards of our bodies and the bodies of our growing babies to be as informed as possible, look at the big picture, and do everything we possibly can to ensure the wellbeing of our babies (both in-utero and out). I am simply saying that doing the research and doing the work could bring about an outcome far better than just sitting back and waiting and following whatever the medical norm is for the time.

I should probably stop there as I am sure I've aggravated a few of my readers. But this is just something that I am truly passionate about. If it provokes discussion or thought beyond what one would normally engage in, then great!
***************************************************************************
The Midwife Model.
For this pregnancy we've elected to use a midwife. Being in a new location, and not feeling like I needed an Ob/Gyn for my care, both Mark and I agreed that a midwife would be a nice alternative.

The midwife model of care is strikingly different than anything I've ever experienced, and I have to fully admit that I really like it. Mine does just what a doctor would do, i.e. check my weight, BP, urine, measurements, as well as monitor the baby using a Doppler. What's different is that midwives aren't doctors, they don't try to be doctors, and because of that a large amount of responsibility is put on the patient to take care of themselves, because if they don't, then the women will need a doctor.

At my first appointment my midwife, she handed me two large books and multiple handouts--all nutrition related. In them stated how much of certain foods and vitamins I needed, and then why they were important for me, baby, and the success of my labor and delivery. Wow! In addition to nutrition was another handout showing the many different exercises imperative to the growing strain of pregnancy on the body. The exercises are meant to relieve pain and pressure, but also to engage baby's head and strengthen the muscles and tissues pertinent to delivery.

It's all quite simple, really, and perhaps I've read this twice before with the other two pregnancies and brushed it aside, but this time it's required of me, and a large part of the success of a healthy pregnancy relies not on medicine, but on my ability to take care of myself. What a concept!

A few examples of how I'm trying to achieve a healthier pregnancy:

1). Calcium. My midwife wants me to drink a pint of milk everyday. Women, especially in COLD MN, are calcium (vitamin D) deficient. When growing a baby, the body will take calcium from a women's bones to makes the baby's bones. Also, calcium deficiency is a big culprit for those awful pregnancy leg cramps and restless legs.

2.) Iron. With 40% more blood than the non-pregnant state, iron is necessary for pregnancy health. Even more importantly, the stronger the blood, the less likely post partum hemmorage will be. For me, I'll start taking Alfalfa, in pill form, sometime in the next month. It has iron in it, but is known for it's blood-clotting abilities. I've actually done this with my first two after hearing the advice from a trusted family member. After two very clean and healthy deliveries, I'm a believer in the simple supplement.

There are many, many other nutritional needs for pregnant, women, as well as exercises for body and relaxation for labor. There is a lot on my plate to prepare my body for birth! I'm excited though, and glad that I have the opportunity to have someone challenge me to make myself, my baby, and my family healthier.

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I found your blog through Mallory. It's refreshing to see more women taking a stand on this. My second pregnancy was under the care of a midwife and it was fantastic. I highly recommend it.

    Thank you for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've run the gamut in regard to deliveries. My first was a home-birth, second was medicated and resulted in a c-section, and my third was a slightly induced unmedicated (highly successful) vbac. With our next (no, I'm not pregnant), we'd like to do another home-birth possibly water-birth. I am passionate about it not because I'm of naturalistic mindset or because I am anti-medicine (quite the contrary), but because I've experienced a range of options and I KNOW what many women don't....that there are alternative options to the birthing norm.

    I have a feeling this will not be the only post I write on this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Theresa. The more research I do, the more I'm compelled that midwifery is a tried and true profession, one of the first, really. I love that their philosophy is that of "Lifeguard" as opposed to trying to actively manage a labor.

    I think more than anything, what I've realized is that midwifery has really shifted the responsibility of my pregnancy and delivery to me, that what *I* do has a direct effect on the health of me and my children. It's very clarifying for me, as someone who two previous times blindly went into labor with my fingers crossed, more or less. This time the sense of power and ability is what I hope to sustain me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BEAUTIFUL! So wonderful to see young women coming to the realization that there are many healthy, natural alternatives to birthing and raising children. There is SO MUCH more information available to you than we ever had! And most importantly, to realize, each and every day, that God designed our bodies to birth, heal and be perfect. And sadly, that the health care system, which is AMAZING for emergency care...and should be used for that, is really tainted when it comes to HEALTH. I only caution you, your readers and this blogger about MILK. And the idea of drinking that much milk each day to get calcium...there are many, many safer, healthier alternatives. Pasteurized dairy is one of the worst health choices you can make...for something natural is taken and made actually bad for you. See this: http://www.draxe.com/pasteurization-homogenization-101/ May God Bless you all as you seek God's plan for caring for your bodies and your family!! Laura Czarka

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mrs Czarka,
    Thank you so much for the encouragement! John and I are actually in the process of choosing a dairy goat breed. We were hoping to add the goats to the farm this spring, but we are thinking it will probably be a little too much as we are for certain adding female (and pregnant) alpacas to the herd plus laying hens and a few butchering chickens. PLUS, I'm looking into finishing up my degree. Adding dairy goats that need twice daily milkings would probably be too much this year. But for sure next year. We, too, have been researching and realizing the benefits of raw milk - especially goats milk. And I've actually purchased a "how to make cheese" book. We'll see how THAT goes. ;-) I've been dodging all the Dr Axe posts you put on Facebook because I knew I'd be sucked in and would never been seen again!....our lifestyle would need to change (again). And it is just so hard to NOT change when faced with clear facts. And THAT is exactly what Dr. Axe's work is. Clear facts. A call to health. A call to change. And I thank you for that. He is now bookmarked and I have his cookbook in my Amazon shopping cart.

    ReplyDelete