Tuesday, February 14, 2012

I'm Yours

Spring break landed over my birthday and John wanted to take me out to North Carolina to visit my brother. And then take a motorcycle ride up the coast, stop in DC to visit my aunt and uncle and then head home. I thought the trip was my birthday present. And for weeks before he’d ask me, “What do you want for your birthday?” I’d tell him “I just want you…..I want to spend the day with you.” Then he tells me about this trip he’s planned and I am super excited because I get a whole week with him! (our relationship was a bit long distance…during the week I was at school and he was working and then on the weekends I’d head back home and we’d spend the weekend together with each other’s family. So actually getting a decent chunk of time with him was super exciting and the best birthday gift ever.

So we packed up his truck, loaded his Honda CBR in back and made the non-stop trip to the coast. We had a wonderful time! We walked Top Sail Island, ate the most delicious seafood, rode up the coast on his bike, toured the Marine base my brother was stationed at, and had an awesome time. The one afternoon John asked me if I wanted to stop and get lunch and drive out to the island for a picnic. A man after my own heart…he knew how much I loved the ocean, the sound of the waves, the smell of water, and him. It sounded like a fabulous idea. So we stopped and picked up some lunch, brought it to the beach and had ate it there. It was a grey slightly windy day. It was beautiful out there. After lunch we walked and walked and walked. Not really saying anything. We didn’t have to say anything. I was soaking it all up. We stopped to sit and just listen and watch the waves. Oh I can’t tell you how peaceful it was. Then he asked again, “What do you want for your birthday?” I just looked at him, kissed him and said, “This is more than enough. This is perfect. I just wanted you.” I turned to watch the waves again. And while I was looking away he pulled out a ginormous ring and asked, “Will you be my wife, then?” I looked at him stunned. Then I looked away again and tried to absorb what was just happening. Did I hear him right? We had hardly talked about that far into the future, though we both knew without a doubt that was where our relationship was headed. Had he talked to my parents? What in the world was happening?!!!!! We had only known each other for 4.5 months. Dear God! But I knew. I looked at him again and squeaked out a “yes.” “Are you sure? I mean, if you need to think about it…” “No. I don’t. I will absolutely marry you!” And…well…we were married 4.5 months later. That sweet day by the sea happened nearly 9 years ago.

And to this day, that man makes me weak in the knees.



take when we got home...

 

Do you have a mooshi moment with your valentine or a sappy proposal? ‘Tis the day to share……

No comments:

Post a Comment