Thursday, August 19, 2010

The Wheels On The Bus....

We did it. After much prayer and discussion, we finally made the decision to enroll Hayden in preschool. We are fortunate enough to have the option of two Catholic schools. You may be thinking, "What's the big deal?" Well, it was between enrolling him in one of the schools or homeschooling. I've never been a huge fan of homeschooling. I'm not sure why. I know a lot of well educated, well adapted, successful homeschool families. However, as Hayden got closer to school age I began to see the benefits of it.....parents being the primary teachers, style of learning is different for each kid and can be adapted, obvious one-on-one education, efficiency, specialized education, etc. We knew public school was out of the question.
Over the past couple weeks Hayden has been expressing the fact that he is "almost 5" and can go to school soon. He wants to ride the bus and make new friends and carry a backpack and learn. John and I talked in depth about it and figured we'd better make a decision because the classes fill up fast and school starts in a couple weeks. With 2 slots open, we filled out the paperwork and turned in his application today to St. Mary's Learning Tree Preschool.
He was so excited!!!! I suppose most of my hesitation is maternal.....he's getting older and more independent.....I want him home with me. That and the fact that once he starts school I KNOW Yvette will be anxious to attend as well. (*they have a 3/4 yrs old preschool class too - so technically she could start in January*).
Yikes!!!!

3 comments:

  1. That's SO exciting, Theresa! What a big decision to make, but you made it with prayer, discussion and with Hayden's best interest in mind. And, the nice thing is that it sounds like your area has options, so it's not like you'll be glued to a decision that you have to set in stone.

    I hope that the transition goes well. It might be fun to have just the wee ones at home, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I figure it is PRE-K. If it doesn't seem like the best fit, we'll pull him out and try it at home.
    Aside from the obvious faith, love, security, and example that we give our kids, a solid education is equally important. We will figure out what the best is for each of the kids and go with it. I want to make sure that whatever the final choice, the decision is rooted in prayer. How else is one to make a peaceful decision?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I know it is a tough thing to see them go off to school. I am already dreading the day....However, I was one of those kids that LOVED gradeschool. The great thing is that you have the maternal instinct of what is right for your child. Every one is different. My two brothers who are back to back in age are opposites. My mom homeschooled one and sent the other to school:)

    best of luck with the first few weeks!

    ReplyDelete