Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Goals, Cameras, And Screaming...

This would be a very random post. I realize it has been - yet again - another week since my last post. Apologies.
Random thoughts:

1. I feel lost without my camera in hand. I feel like a blog post just isn't complete without some picture for entertainment. The battery is dead and I just can't seem to find the charger. I know I had it in our bedroom but I'm thinking that "nobody" probably took it and hid it somewhere. I AM looking though. *sigh*

2. I am a runner. When it comes to exercise, running is my preference. I enjoy it. It is a challenge. It is an escape. And it is mine! However, my husband is a lifter. He can lift, bench, press insane amounts of weight. He told me the other day that he was doing 310lbs dead lifts. !!!! What the heck!.....I'm lucky if I can do 50lbs! Anyway, he's been pushing me to let him write up a lifting program for me to suppliment my running.....he said it would help me make gains. I was dragging my feet about it but finally gave in. AND OH DO I LOVE IT!!!! Wow!!!! I run 3 days a week and lift 3 days a week. I feel fantastic!!! and he was right....I am able to run for longer periods of time, I'm not as sore when I push myself, and I just feel a million times better. I should listen to him more often. ;-)

3. Wyatt screams. He screams at everything. He screams when he wants something. He screams when he is tired. He screams when we say "no". He screams when he is excited. He screams. And.It.Is.Driving.Us.Nuts!!!!! Anyone have any suggestions???? PLEASE?!

4. I just finished the book 20 And Counting by Michelle and Jim Bob Duggar. I checked it out because of a blog post that Miss Mallory wrote. I was curious. And she was right. Good Book.

5. I think I'm going to open up an etsy shop. I've got a decent stash of knitted things and I may just post them to see.

6. Yesterday I registered for the Fargo-Moorhead Mini Marathon on October 9th. They hold and annual half marathon, 10K, and 5K. I've been wanting to run the half since I started university in Duluth, MN but something has always gotten in the way. This time I think I'm actually going to do it!!! Here's to hoping!!!.....

7. I love NFP. Maybe that is "tmi", but it is the truth. We are in the 13th consecutive month and it has been fantastic!!! We know we are not done yet and the "fever" is getting stronger. But life is uber crazy right now and we both feel some stability, organization, and simplifying is necessary before we bring another life into this family. (*maybe in the spring or next summer*)

8. I want to learn to sew. I'm thinking about taking a class this fall and/or winter. I think it would be fun!!! And I've kinda made the resolution (a couple years ago) to learn and be proficient at a new life skill each year. The first year was knitting. Last year was spinning. This year (2010-2011) I'm thinking of sewing. I cook. I can. I garden. I think sewing would be next in line. ;-)

I think that is it for now. My husband just came to me to tell me to hurry up and get to the gym.....I have to get my run in. Such is scheduled training!!!!

Happy Wednesday to you all!!!!

6 comments:

  1. 1. I agree.

    3. You need to fix that. No offense, but it annoys not only you but *everyone* around you when your child screams. Use some sort of consequence. Our kids learn early on that there is a volume control in our house. ;)

    5. DO IT!!!

    6. Yay!!! Good for you!!!

    7. That's how we started, but I think it opened our hearts to just being completely open. Unless there is some major medical or financial issue, no one is ever "ready" to have another child. So we no longer even use NFP, just take what God gives us. ;)

    8. I want to learn how to knit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cyn, about the screaming. We never had to deal with that before. And it just sort of crept up on us and now we have no idea how to stomp it out. He's only 15 months, so spanking and talking to him just doesn't click. I've been telling him "NO" and picking him up and putting him in his room until he calms down. But most of the time he'll continue screaming for an hour! and then pass out. I wake him up and it all starts over again because now he's crabby because I woke him up. BUT I don't want him sleeping when it isn't naptime either.
    I just don't know what to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited that you'll be opening an Etsy shop. I wish I had the talent to MAKE stuff!

    You'll be able to pick up sewing no problem. I received a sewing machine as a gift last year and I LOVE IT. I was able to follow a skirt pattern on my own, and I made a pillow case, too! It's slow going for me, but still super fun. The downside to sewing is that unlike knitting, it's really difficult to sew when the kids are around, they really get it the way and make it impossible. It's more of a naptime/evening hobby.

    I hope you found some good tips in the Duggar book. I really like their laundry ideas. I'm so tired of the clothing tornado in our bedrooms, so we just might do it Duggar style soon.

    We have a screamer, too. My theory was that the other children can SPEAK, so the screaming is just a means of attention-getting and communication. We do the stern "NO" too, but to no avail. It's most irritating. The tempers these toddlers can have...Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Etsy...YES PLEASE!! I've been randomly looking to see if you had done that yet. :) I'm on there looking at stuff seriously all the time. I hope you do. hugs!!
    kristen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Screaming children is always a stress. Most child psychologists agree that to modify the behavior one must address the trigger rather than the behavior itself. Even with consequences such as screaming it out alone, and stern "no"s, the behavior quickly becomes habit as it is reinforced with each episode. Identifying the trigger (or triggers) is without doubt an arduous job, espescially with other childrent in the house, but if you are able to redirect the child immediately after spotting the trigger and offer an alternative, the negative behavior is never given the chance to fully develop. For example when you see his excitment growing and the potential for screaming, clap his hands with him and offer praise for clapping, teaching him to associate clapping with excitement rather than screaming! As you said, he won't understand an explanation or a punishment at his developmental age.

    Sounds awfully theoritical, but it's basic age appropriate cognitive behavioral therapy. Hope it helps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YES!! thank you! for the advice. it makes sense. i'm noticing one trigger is when he wants something to drink. so i've been quick to jump up and walk around in the kitchen with him and say "juice" or "water" or "drink". he seems pretty responsive to that. or when he is playing and he starts screaming i try to make sure to get on his level and try to redirect him. it makes sense and i'm so happy you suggested it because i feel like maybe i'm on the right track. hopefully hopefully hopefully we can work through this and eliminate it altogether. it seems kinda tedious to cater to his screaming, but it doesn't seem like he does it for attention (all the time). it just seems to be his way of communicating something he can't communicate. if that makes sense?
    thanks again!

    ReplyDelete