Friday, March 19, 2010

My Own Homemade Birthday

I am 29. I've never been one to freak out about age or getting older. And though I still think of myself as 23-24ish, 30 IS right around the corner and that IS shocking. Not scary. Not sad. Shocking.

Anyway, it was a simple birthday and a seemingly normal day. John worked. We stayed home and played. My brother and his daughter were here which made the day fantastic!

What did I receive, you ask? Something I never expected or even thought I'd want. An ice cream maker. And yes, we tried it out. YUMMY! Homemade ice cream is like homemade jelly - once you've had it, you never ever think to consider buying it off the shelf ever again! THAT is how absolutely scrumptious it is. Of course it is probably 10x as fattening as Dove or Breyers, but seriously?.....who cares! It is way better!. I asked my husband why he got it for me or what made him think of getting it. His response was so sweet, "To slow life down a little and enjoy the process. Plus I thought it would be fun for the kids to help and enjoy this as a 'past time' they love. 'Homemade ice cream on the farm.'"

Does my hubby know me or what?!

So I did what every other stay at home mom with 3 kids and a working husband does on her birthday. I made my own delicious birthday cake and churned my own ice cream. ;-)

Strawberry Ice Cream:
2 1/2 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups sugar
2 1/2 cups half and half
5 cups whipping cream
5 cups pureed strawberries (add to chilled mixture before freezing)

Scald milk until bubbles form around edge of pan. Remove from heat. Add sugar and salt. Stir until dissolved. Stif in half and half, vanilla extract, and whipping cream. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes. Freeze as directed (on your ice cream maker).

The cake is a personal recipe NOT to be shared at the moment. ;-)

1 comment:

  1. Theresa! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! WHat a sweet husband and cool gift to get!
    I hope this year is blessed for you!
    <3

    ReplyDelete