Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Green Again

We have been waiting for these days for oh-so-long. Our winter seemed endless and just when we thought for sure spring would come, we'd be hit again with snow. But finally the sun came, the temp rose, and the ground dried up. Now the fields are full of tractors, the farmers here are happy and busy, the kids are outside most of the day, my clothes line is FULL every day (another post to come "Ode to my clothesline"), and my garden is now (almost) all planted. Life is splendid here.

John, my hero and life saver of many sorts, spent yesterday and today raking, burning, tilling, raking, mounding, and planting the garden. He's done most of the important work thus far. I get to plant the peas, onions, and beets tomorrow. And on Sunday (hopefully) the tomatoes go in. *sigh* I LOVE this time of year.


Over the past few years we've experimented with various ways of planting our tomatoes: groups, rows, hog-panelled, etc. Last year was the most successful. We group 3 plants together (the buckets help keep the grubs and bugs at bay) each with a cage and staked in the middle. It was both fruitful and fairly easy to keep up with. The spaces between are large enough for a tiller to go through if we want. We've got 3 mounded rows of potatoes, one mounded row of beets, then the tomatoes, onions, then peas in the back along with my raspberry patch which you can't really see in this pick. I might throw some peppers in there if there is room in the end.

Believe it or not, this is the smallest garden we've done since we've been here. And I am super excited about it. I'm not going to be worth a lick come harvest time so this should be manageable (compared to previous years). Plus, keeping the weeds down on this shouldn't be too hard. (I might be eating my words on this come July).

I always want to try something new and have been wanting to do salad greens or herbs or something. Apparently those are super easy, though I've never done them. Maybe we'll do some pots.

What do YOU plant? Anything exciting? Any awesome tips you've learned over the years?

No comments:

Post a Comment