Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Wedding Nostalgia

I’ve been in a nostalgic mooshi kind of mood lately. You see, on Saturday a young woman, whom I worked with years ago during my volunteer years, got married. I wanted to go so badly but unfortunately it was not possible for me to travel. And so I remained here with her and her husband constantly on my mind and in my prayers.

The nostalgia and moosh is obvious. I remember being 23 and eagerly waiting to wed my love. Every detail of our wedding day is etched into my memory. It was a wonderful small town wedding with great celebration! I dreamed of such a day for most of my life and felt so blessed to have been chosen by such a man as John. I waited and waited and waited for him. And finally I was to be his and he mine. I remember the weather, the conversations, the flutters in my stomach waiting for him to arrive at the church for pictures, the music, the smells, the blessings!!!!, the people!!!!. And the dancing. I remember it all. A few of my favorites…..

*walking up the isle with my dad and walked back down it with my husband

*celebrating with dear friends who traveled from Mexico, Ohio, California, BC, and Michigan

*watching my dad so proudly pass out fabulous cigars to John and his groomsmen and then put his out so he could come in and dance with me (Bob Seagar’s Old Time Rock and Roll)

*a Harley ride with my Uncle Dan (I wish I had a pic of this on the computer)

*a last dance to a song written and sung by a college friend

*and finally the drive to our final destination for the next 5 days

Perhaps the most awesome memory was a thought I had the next day. I was laying in bed with my sleeping husband and thought about the events of the previous day. All it took was a the declaration of a few vows, a blessing, and a night with my husband and we were joined body and soul for the rest of our days. It was the most peaceful, secure, satisfying moment. God’s ways are so awesome. And His blessings are even more.

And as I clicked through Miss E’s wedding pics that were gradually being posted by her guests, I saw a sparkle in her eye that made those memories come flooding back. The eagerness, anticipation, pure love, and utter happiness. She was a radiant, elegant, regal bride. And I am so happy for her and her new husband.

For those of you who are married, what was your most lasting memory of your wedding day?

No comments:

Post a Comment