Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Raspberries, Holes, and Lots of Wood

Early this past spring we planted 18 raspberry sprigs not thinking they'd do much of anything this year but take root. I caught Hayden picking the tiny red berries that I didn't even notice were there until today. SO.EXCITED. We love raspberries. Love.Love.Love.
I can't wait for next year and the year after when the harvest will be more and more. Did I mention that I love raspberries?
Well....I DO!

Wyatt spent the afternoon yesterday helping his dad dig post holes. Something the kids all love to do. Maybe some of you remember this post from our family blog last year? Well, this year Wyatt got to help and boy did he love it!


John worked so hard this spring to finish up splitting our enormous wood pile that collected last fall. We had a couple weeks of openness and order in front of our wood shed. But then, all in one week, 3 of our neighbors decided they wanted to take down some trees. Knowing we burn wood all winter, they so graciously offered their wood to us before burning it. And John, being the man he is happily accepted and assisted in the hauling of said trees. Now we have this....once again....obstructing the view of the beautiful fields behind our house. Darn generous neighbors (just kidding). ;-) We are very thankful for these offers as this will heat our entire home for at least a full winter season. BUT....it has to be split. Great. Another HUGE project to add to the list.
All I have to say is.....I love my husband. Really. He's pretty darned fantastic because he rarely complains about anything. He is grateful and continues on. *sigh*

Introducing.......
"The Mousers"
Yup. They look pretty vicious don't they? Laying there like they actually did something today....or any day for that matter. But they haven't.
(Tabitha in front, Simon in the back)
They do keep the mudroom free and clear of mice though. And we haven't seen anything in the house since we got them last year. So I suppose they are fulfilling their purpose.

Happy Tuesday Everyone!

7 comments:

  1. Fantastic! I love it all and wish I had my very own raspberry bushes!

    Are you cats inside/outside; what rules do you have about them in your home? I love the idea a cat for inside, but also "barn" cats for rodents. You?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can get some for you. How many do you want? I'll be in Crosby on Sunday (just for the day). Are you going to be in town? Until what time?

    The cats are strictly inside cats. We live close to a highway and they'd most likely get hit. We've "invested" in their future by fixing them and keeping them indoors to keep them healthy and safe. I don't really LIKE them inside. But that's what we've chosen to do. We usually have a couple outside stray cats that hang out here and they get the mice outside. We don't want too many family barn cats because we're getting chickens very soon. Chickens and cats don't really mix well - from what I've been told anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How many raspberries do I want...or cats ;-) ?

    Not this weekend, but next we'll be around. My mom might be able to keep them alive for me?? Let me know. Would they grow in the woods (serious question), or do I need to make some kind of a raised bed?

    ReplyDelete
  4. nope. no raised bed necessary. You'll probably want to keep an area weeded and stuff at least until they take root and get going. But for the most part they are pretty hardy and easy fruits. I've even noticed some "volunteers" already. I wasn't expecting those for at least a year. But they are sprouting on their own. It's pretty exciting.

    And about the cats. I have a good friend who has 6 kittens she's trying to find a loving home for.
    hint hint hint hint ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will happily take whatever raspberries you want to give a loving home to. I'll try to send you an email closer to the wknd about a place where they can be kept until I can take them back home with me.

    As for the kittens, I would take some except we can't have them in Bemidji. Pray we move back to our home-home, then I'd take one...or two :-) .

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't help but be jealous.. when we moved into our new house last year, I had dreams of huge hydrangeas and big raspberry bushes. I'm struggling to keep my hydrangea alive and the deer have gobbled up my raspberry bushes. How do you keep them away?!
    Abby

    ReplyDelete
  7. we have a dog that guards the alpaca. and she keeps EVERYTHING out of the yard. we don't even see many squirrels anymore. she's pretty good at what she does. :-)

    ReplyDelete