Saturday, April 16, 2011

Broken Hearted

Last night I was giving Yvette and Wyatt a tub when I heard Hayden in the living room burst into tears. As most moms, I can identify the different types of crying and what it usually means. These tears I heard were definitely tears of sadness NOT pain.

I called into the living room, "Hayden, sweetheart, what is the matter?"

Hayden came walking into the bathroom with his head down and the biggest tears streaming down his face. "Mo-om." - more tears. He just hugged me.

"Hayden, tell me why you are so sad," I said as he buried his tears and boogars into my shoulder.

"Look Mom. Just look." He brought me to the window and said, "Snow." And continued to cry for about 5 more minutes.

My heart sank too. Though some of you might laugh at this, this particular moment was truly a sad one. For whatever reason this winter has seemed exceedingly long. I mean LLLLOOOOONNNNNGGGGG. And the past couple weeks we've enjoyed the warmer spring-like weather. The last of the snow piles just melted a few days ago and the puddles were starting to dry up enough for the kids to play in the sandbox and on the swing set and ride their bikes. But more snow means more days to dry up. YUCK.




As I sit here so early in the morning, I am trying to figure out some grand activity to do with the kids that wouldn't require a trip outside.....something they'd get excited about.....something to pull their attention from the thin yet heavy layer of snow that blankets everything outside. The weather will likely be warm enough today to melt it all by early afternoon. But still......the truth is that it is there. And there isn't anybody in this region that finds a snow fall at the end of April funny OR enjoyable.

Lord?....are you listening?...........this isn't funny.......

2 comments:

  1. Oh Sweet Hayden :) If you think it would help, let him know that maybe God made it snow for the people who are flooding just west of us. I know they were happy to see the snow rather then the rain in regards to the flood fight.

    Hope you find something fun to do today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah....I tried explaining that to him but he's beyond "offering it up".

    ReplyDelete